Trifle

My husband prefers fruit over chocolate any day so for Father's Day I decided to make a Trifle. I had never made a trifle before, but after making it I decided it's just a fancy strawberry shortcake. Of course you could use a different fruit, but I used strawberries because that's what I had on hand. Now don't get me wrong everyone still loved the trifle and it's nice to to have a "fancy strawberry shortcake".

 

 Trifle
Serves 10

Ingredients:
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup seedless strawberry jam
4 cups strawberries
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 pounds favorite pound cake
 
 In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and lemon juice to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
In a small bowl, combine jam with 3 cups strawberries, mashing slightly. In a large bowl, whip cream and 2 tablespoons sugar to stiff peaks.
Slice pound cake 3/4 inch thick; brush both sides of slices with lemon syrup.
Fit 1/3 of slices snugly in the bottom of a 4-quart trifle dish or other glass bowl, trimming edges if necessary. Gently spread top of layer with 1/3 of strawberry mixture, and then 1/3 of whipped cream. Repeat to make two more layers; garnish with remaining cup strawberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 24 hours. 
 
Recipe (slightly adapted) and photo from Martha Stewart

Comments

Popular Posts