Breakfast "Honduran Style"



Do you have those meals that just take you back to when you were a kid and life was perfect? All you had to do for dinner was show up and eat, way more than your share? This is exactly what this meal is to me. For those of you who don't know I am hispanic. My family moved to the states from Honduras about a year before I was born. So along with Spanish being my first language, Honduran food was my first love. This was a traditional breakfast at my house and my siblings and I still ask my mom to make it whenever we are together. Now my family later added the fried spam, which is not traditionally served with this, but we found our kids really loved it. It is up to you whether to serve the spam or not. If you do just fry spam in a little oil until golden brown on both sides. 

Oh, and for those of you who have never had plantains they have a sweet taste after frying. To pick the ripe ones you look for the ones that are a deep yellow orange color and that are turning black.  (picture below)






Refried Beans

Ingredients
 2 cans refried beans
1 small onion, diced
 2 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pepper, TT (to taste)
1/4 tsp cumin

Heat oil in saucepan.

Dice onions and add to pan. Saute for 2 minutes. 

Add refried beans and seasonings. stir until well combined. Heat on low heat while you make the plantains, eggs, ranchero sauce, fried spam (optional).



 Plantains

Ingredients
 2-3 ripe plantain bananas
3 Tbsp. oil

 Heat oil in large skillet

Cut a straight line along the length of plantain through peel. Slide your thumb in between peel and plantain to peel. 

Cut Plantain into diagonal slices. 

Fry the plantains in skillet for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.

Place on paper towel lined plate.
Serve along side refried beans, huevos rancheros and fried spam, if desired.


Ranchero Sauce

Ingredients

2-3 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 tbsp oil
salt, TT (to taste)
pepper, TT (to taste)
1/2 tsp oregano
2-3 tsp ketchup

Heat oil in saucepan

Dice tomatoes and onion, Add to pan.

Saute until onion begins to tenderize.

Add salt, pepper, oregano, and ketchup.

Stir until well combined and heated through. Serve warm over fried eggs.

Comments

SalliO said…
This was easy to make and so delicious! I will be making it again and again! It reminded me of the good old days 🥰

Popular Posts