Red Enchilada Sauce

Homemade Enchilada Sauce
 I was making bean and cheese enchiladas the other day when much to my dismay I realized I was out of red enchilada sauce. I still really wanted enchiladas so I looked up a recipe for homemade enchilada sauce and I found this recipe. It was so delicious and way better than store bought enchilada sauce.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Recipe courtesy of Tide and Thyme

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup chicken stock or water
1 tsp kosher salt

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for a few minutes, until starting to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for an additional minute to toast the spices.
Add in the tomato sauce, as well as the chicken broth. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, and pour the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl. Using a rubber spatula, push down on the onions, forcing as much sauce out as possible. I like to just toss the strained onion mixture into whatever enchilada filling I’m making, but you can discard it if you like.
Season sauce to taste with salt and black pepper before using. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Makes about 2 cups enchilada sauce.

Comments

Popular Posts